I’ve recently been putting together some timelapse videos of pieces from March 2009 firing. I have a couple more videos lined up, but they all still need to have the notes put in, the slowest step. I’m also planning on making a few new videos of my saggar fire pieces – I’m looking forward to seeing the burnishing process via timelapse.
Anyway, for now, here’s a timelapse of the creation of “Berry Eater”
Here in Seattle, we’ve been snowed in since last Thursday. We’ve gotten a total of nine inches, with another couple predicted tonight. In most cities, this would be no problem. However, the city of Seattle has about 25 snowplows – less snow removal capability the the SeaTac airport. Even as the city’s been warming up, the roads have been freezing again every night in to two inch thick sheets of ice. Between that, the city’s use of sand (not salt), and the fact that no one up here knows how to drive in the snow, we’ll probably be stuck here until New Years. Well, at least I’ve been staying useful.
I recently got myself a scanner (well, maybe it was an early Christmas present), and have been enjoying the heck out of it. I’ve gone through my old sketchbooks, finding interesting sketches to scan. I made one or two nice prints for people, recreations of early sketches of critters they now own. I’ll upload a few more sketches the next few weeks.
I also took the time to finally finish up another time lapse video. This the the video for the creation of “Conversation #3”. The music from the soundtrack to “Paprika”, a truly bizarre and spectacular anime movie by Satoshi Kon. I recommend going to youtube to watch the timelapse in higher resolution.
In addition to using some of my new found free time to sign up for an “Anything-goes Art Event”, I also put together another bit of stop motion. I recommend going to youtube, where it is possible to click on the “view in higher quality” option.
When I work on my regular sized beasts, I tend to make them in batches. I’ll start with about 3 to 6 balls of clay, and work on them in parallel over the course of a few weeks. Often each step in the process of making a beast will only take an hour to half hour, but I’ll need to let the parts rest and dry for a day between each step. This makes sure that seems don’t reopen or wet legs don’t get attached to dryer bodies. I’ll often spend a morning or a day doing nothing but making legs or sanding backs.
Before this last firing, I filmed all the steps in sculpting one set of beasts. I’ve been calling it “Trio”, but in some ways it’s also “Cuddle” #2. I liked the beasts I made for “cuddle” and wanted to see a larger arrangement of them. It was surprisingly hard to figure out how to make the three fit together. Anyway, here’s the timelapse video fully tracking them from beginning to end.
I really like arranging my beasts in groups. And this sort of lumpy, toothy form really appeals to me. For a bit, I’ve been meaning to make a pile of 10 or 20 guys. Maybe next firing I’ll have time.